Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pizza and the Potty

We had some very exciting potty training success this weekend! (note: Esther is wearing knickers in this picture!) Somewhere a light has gone in her head and I think the whole potty think has just 'clicked'. She asked for the potty on Saturday, this is not an uncommon thing for her to do, but what happened next was: she sat on the potty and actually wee'd! Yay! Time for 'marshals' (marshmallow rewards). In the last two days since, this has happened many times now. This morning she even woke up with a perfectly dry nappy. She asked for the potty as soon as I went in, and received yet another 'marshal' for her success. I am starting to wonder how many times we have to clap our hands and jump up and down after she does it... but hey, I am not complaining! We are very proud! However all this new found potty success is not completely without its hiccups. On Saturday after Esther had done her first self-initaited wee, I was feeding Charlotte on the bed and she came in asking for the potty.


'Shane!' I yelled,

'Quick, Esther wants to go potty!!' came my urgent request.

'I am indisposed!' Came shane's echo-ey reply from the loo...

Uh oh.

I quickly hopped up from the bed leaving poor Charlotte squirming and ran into Esther's room.

'Wet' said Esther pointing to the wee on the floor... There were two puddles, not one though. Yes, Esther had not only wee'd on the floor but also tipped out her earlier success that I had (neglectfully) failed to empty as yet...

So our training has expanded from not only getting her to 'go' on the potty but also not to pick it up and dump it out in her excitement. We are making plenty of progress on both counts and all feeling generally very proud and pleased with ourselves! :)


Now you will notice the title to this blog says 'Pizza and potty' now we have the potty talk out of the way I will get on with the exciting tales of Christy in the kitchen. Last night I decided I wanted to make Pizza. I had to make a run to the shop to get a few things so bought all the needed toppings. I had found a delightful looking pizza base recipe in my 'How to be a domestic goddess' cook book. Thank you once again Nigella, this was a winner! I was most pleasantly surprised at how easy the dough was to make, I am always a bit frightened of donig things with yeast, afraid after all the work and time to let it rise that it won't work out and be so disappointing. Which, I might add, has happened in the past. But this recipe was simple, chuck the ingredients together (flour, yeast, oil, warm water) mix and then knead, then let rise in a bowl for an hour. The dough was rising while I went to the shops and was ready to go when I returned. It smelled and felt delicious! A bit more kneading and then I rolled it out on the tray, spread a few tinned chopped tomatoes across the base, sprinkled on salt and italian herbs and then popped it in the oven for twenty minutes. I had my ingredients all ready to go (picture)

Then I pulled it out of the hot oven and covered it with all those yummy things that make pizza so divine. My favourites; salami, ham, mushrooms, olives and cheese! 10 more minutes in the oven and wa lah!

The perfect pizza! The base was so crunchy and yummy (it smelt fantastic while it was cooking too!). Have you ever had those 'veri deli' sea salt and rosemary crackers? Yummy. The base tasted a bit like that thanks to the herbs that I had sprinkled on. Sooo good, you must ask me for the recipe if you are inspired and have been too nervous to do the base yourself in the past. It really is that easy! I enjoyed my delicious pizza with a glass of Cabernet. Delightful.











No comments: