Monday, June 23, 2008

I can do all things...

The last couple of hours have seen me busily tidying up. It is always great having visitors as the house gets looking fantastic as I prepare to wow and delight whoever is coming to stay. Okay, perhaps that is a slight exaggeration. But at any rate, I am wowed and excited at how great my house is looking at the end of the cleaning frenzy I put myself through. I do enjoy it though. There is such a sense of satisfaction in getting into all those usually forgotten corners. I find once I get into my cleaning 'groove' there really is no stopping me. I always end up doing random extra things that really don't need to be done, or at least they only contribute minutely to the overall untidyness and yet take up extraordinary amounts of time (but when you are killing time til a 1.55am pick up time is of no great importance)... e.g. cleaning and emptying out my bag and wallet, sorting out any little junk 'pots' I can get my hands on, gathering together all my takeaway menus and putting them into a 'doculope' (gosh I love those things!), cleaning on top of the fridge, sorting out the CD wallet and hunting out any that are missing... get the picture? But its those small and not really needing to be done jobs that I find the most satisfying, not quite sure why. I think knowing that even those out of the way and hidden spots are organised gives me a sense of calm. Its funny how the state of the house can reflect the state of one's mind. How 'on top' of the house work I am at any given moment is usually a good indication of my mental health. I might add that being 'on top' of the housework doesn't necessarily mean it has been done or is being done for that matter. What it means is that I can at least picture it being done without any mammoth effort. It really is all about how you see things. Some days even doing the dishes is a battle in itself, well on other days I can tackle every room and every cluttered corner and be ready for more. Its funny isn't it? How easily I can slide from domestic goddess, queen of my domain to slovenly houswife on the verge of a breakdown. I know it is God who provides me the strength I need, without him I can do nothing, but with him?... Nothing is impossible (even enjoying housework!).

No comments: