Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Weighing in...




Well it's been three months since Charlotte was born, I can no longer use pregnancy as an excuse, time to shed some kilos. I have ditched 85% of my wardrobe as it consisted of maternity clothes, that flattered a pregnant belly but makes a used-to-be pregnant belly look twice as big as it already is. So, I have hardly anything to wear and I really mean that. So I went shopping yesterday...Sigh. Three months from giving birth is not the best time, body image wise, to go shopping. But it is worse than not going shopping and having nothing but unflattering clothes to wear. So I braved the change rooms. Believe me, that is no small feat. It was really thoughtful of K-mart to provide me with a three way mirror to really ensure I was taking it all in. The fluro lighting really accentuated my cellulite too. Love that look. Really, if shops are serious about selling clothes they need to ensure the changerooms are candlelit and there is some positive body image reinforcement going on with the music. Something like Christina Aguilera's 'I am beautiful' would probably do the trick nicely. Although it may backfire as Shane commented, a lot of clothes would be returned when the flattering lighting and uplifting music have departed. I suppose he is right. Better to have the brutal reality and find something that best disguises it...Don't worry I am not as down on myself as I sound. Actually that is the problem! I am too optimistic about my appearance! If I could have poor body image two days in a row I might actually be able to stick to a diet! Well, thats what I used to be like. I am actually doing pretty good sticking to a healthy eating plan at the moment and getting into some more exercise. I am doing ninety sit ups a night! Impressive, I know. I really have Taimi Buchan to thank, my fellow stay at home mum (domestic goddess if you will) and blogger. She too has recently had a baby and is wanting to lose weight. So we are keeping each other accountable online. It's kinda fun. I thought I would take the next step and post up my 'before' pictures for all to see! eeek! and as an extra accountability. Dare you Taimi! So here is my 'before' shots stay tuned for the after... it might be a little while but I will get there! I am 85kg at present and my first goal is 80 and my long term goal is 70-75kg. Well, I think I have just faced two fears that most women have; telling their weight and other people seeing unflattering pictures of them. What a breakthrough. Well, I think my lean cuisine is ready now...

1 comment:

Christy Rayner said...

The cushion has been included in this photo for scale... (ha ha)