Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Transformation!!!!

I am in the transformational mood! While some may be quick  to point out that the dishes are still in the sink and the washing is on the line... Let's not deny the inspirational and motivational boost that is found in totally re-organising a 'crap-attraction' zone. I find that as I bring new life to an area in the house and give it a make-over I discover increased energy reserves within myself for tackling the other day-to-day jobs, such as the dishes and the laundry.  

Our 'craft desk' is one such area that attracts crap, like a moth to a flame. I haven't minded too much as I know without it here in the kitchen a lot of that stuff would be on the table. However, as you will agree from the photo evidence, it was high time I tackled this area with a vengeance and rethought the way I was utilising it (or not utilising it as the case may be!)

It took me a number of hours to sort through this, (longer still because I was doing it, in and around the bed time routine). But It was time well spent and it felt great to have some order at the end of it all. I had a bit of a light bulb moment. I am sure it must be a rule of organisation somewhere, or maybe it should be; that if you have open shelves, you SHOULD NOT use see-through containers for storing items as this just adds to the overall clutter. Clear storage tubs should be reserved for use behind closed doors. IN closets and such, where you already have a door hiding it from view, and when opened it is easy to see what is there and you don't have to open everything up, after already opening the closet doors. Makes sense right?! So I have taken all my clear storage items and found new homes for them in other closets (ok to be honest, I have shoved them in the hallway closet until the transformational whirlwind comes to town in there.)


Earlier in the day I had purchased a few key items from Ikea to use on my re-organised craft shelves. I already had a few black plastic paper bins from Ikea (as you can see in the photo above). So I opted for items that matched in with these. I kind of have a thing for baskets as I find them to be a beautiful way to bring order. This lovely basket had some black in it which made it a perfect match with my other storage items. I also bought a couple of cheap magazine holders from Ikea- also in black (though they aren't in this photo, you can see them in the final picture)

It was time to put everything back in a way that would make it user friendly and pleasing to the eye. The two black tubs you see in the picture I used for painting supplies and colouring/activity books (we seem to have a lot of these!!) respectively. The magazine holders are chock-full of magazines that are free to use for cutting up. Play-dough and its accesories are living in the square wicker basket. Next to that is the pot of scissors, tape dispenser and other stationary needs all housed in tubs behind. On the top shelf i have kept a few books on display and some folders, my camera bag and a few other tubs of random craft stuff...Blah, blah, blah, I am sure you get the drift!  Here is the final product! Hudson wanted in the picture too, so that is him saying 'Hi'!


It is a vast improvement as you can see. Though you will note there still remains the 'basket of crap' in the corner of the desk. Those pesky items that just seem lost, somewhat useless and yet I am unable to throw them away and giving them away to charity just seems mean. Let's face it, there is probably always going to be a few items that allude categorization, and there might as well be a basket for them as opposed to having them scattered about the house. The half-way house for objects. I may, in future purchase a few more tubs or baskets to make the overall look more ordered and crisp, but I am very happy with the improvement and it does need to remain a practical way to get at activities without digging around too much. I am particularly happy with the lovely basket which is home to our craft bits and bobs. These craft-randoms used to be housed in a clear plastic tub, which only added to the chaos as previously highlighted. Now they are beautifully hidden, yet just as accessible- in fact, more so as the basket makes rummaging through it easier. Oh bliss.

In the last week or so since doing this mini-makeover I have found it such a delight to use items and activities off the shelf and put them away. With everything having a clear home it's easy to see and access what's on offer. It was such a jumble before I rarely bothered to get any activities out as I didn't want to add any more chaos to the chaos. Order really lends itself to creativity. When all possibilities are laid out before you in a beautiful way it just makes you want to dive in and enjoy. I have often witnessed this when I have re-organised the kids room or play room. Freshly tidied, the kids can't wait to jump in there and let there imaginations come up with fun games and play with forgotten toys...And then it's back to the chaos and we start all over again!! :) 




No comments: